8.21.2009

Skip the Chips and Salsa -- Choose YouTube

It's Friday! Time to throw a little jazz into your weekend gatherings. No, I don't mean getting in step with a Richard Simmons jazzercise tape. I'm talking about being the hostess with the mostess.

Before you reach for a Valium and a martini, don't worry: no pressure to be the next Martha Stewart. It's easy and simple and fun to change up your appetizer routine, and you can do it with the help of YouTube.

I come from a traditional, Lutheran, Minnesotan family: canned soup is practically in my DNA. I can make a tatertot hotdish in my sleep.

But no one likes eating Jello molds before the football game or while playing Wii (Jello and Wii do not mix, unless you're 22 and the Jello is prepared with cheap vodka).

I've learned so much from YouTube cooking demos. To get started, surf the channels (FoodNetwork has one, for instance), search by the food you like, simply search "appetizer"--you can even search by the cook, if you have a favorite.

This is old school Rachel Ray. She's making easy Grilled Green Quesadillas with Brie and Herbs. Deeelish. You can even make them on the stovetop if certain Hennepin County regulations prevent you from keeping a BBQ on the deck of your condo. I'm just sayin' it's easy, that's all.

So tonight, when you're with a group of friends watching Brett Farve make his debut (hope he doesn't break a hip), surprise everyone with something a little bit different that doesn't require you leaving work early to make it.

Be the fabulous person you are -- and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment