8.19.2009

Five Tips to Reduce Technology-Project Anxiety

If you need a boost of motivation to embrace conversations with those who worship in the church of technology, do I have the article for you.

A little background: about 8 months ago my former team was trying to patch up a back-end problem with our Web hosting system. The problem was bigger than us. Bigger, but not impossible to fix.

A day later a consultant returned my emails with the solution implemented and the problem identified. Yet I clearly remember sitting back in my chair and reading the email, rubbing my forehead in frustration.

"What in the world is a problem with pods??"

I was too exasperated to put up a fight; I settled for the fact that the problem was resolved - I reasoned that I didn't need to know how it worked.

Fast forward to a month ago: by this time I was buried in marketing technology projects. Over eight hours a day tweaking, explaining, structuring, problem-solving - any kind of "ing" you can think of pertaining to marketing I was working on it with our marketing technology. And, just like being immersed in Spain when learning Spanish, I began to learn how to talk the language. Guess what? It wasn't all that scary, nor that complicated to understand (with a little help from YouTube demos and blogs!).

I wish I had discovered the One to One Interactive Marketing blog months ago, particularly an article entitled "Don't let the geek speak intimidate you (Five tips to reduce technology-project anxiety)." The five pointers are uber helpful, the writing is friendly, and it's empowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment